Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Some Distillations

I hate the word granular. There was a prospective client that would use that word--incessantly. "Let's get more granular on that, tell me...." I'd love the word had our team won the business. We didn't. We essentially negotiated non-stop for 6 months with weekly flights to Philadelphia to meet. I spent my first and only Las Vegas vacation negotiating contract language for the the first 3 hours of each day enduring withering glances from my husband. We were taken to the altar and then cast aside.

I think that there are a few guideposts to keep in mind post sub-prime blow up and whether or not it is a contained contagion. But here are a few of the granular issues that are really as important as (if not related to) this issue:

  • Liquidity: Liquidity is bound to be impaired. We can do LOTS of speculation on what it will do to consumer spending, but I think that we can say with certitude it WILL EFFECT the number of new homes sold.
  • Economy/Consumer: If the majority of jobs created in this last recovery is reliant on the burgeoning homebuilding industry (as I understand that it is), and we know that industry is impaired, then it is reasonable to deduce that unemployment claims will rise. Calculated Risk has done a remarkable job in detailing his thoughts on the effects on the employment numbers. Job losses will result in consumers tightening up their spending. Plus, for those with rate resets, even if they are PRIME borrowers, that payment increase will take a bite out of their pocketbooks.
I can see NO CREDIBLE WAY that the consumer clears this buckle in the economic road--there's not enough suspension to shield the consumer from a bone jarring bump. I don't think that this is hyperbole. BUT....so long as consumer spending holds, you will see it held up as a beacon of light. But once the consumer is lost--then I think that the market will have it's second "come to Jesus" discussion with investors. The consumer story, then, is the next truth to be vetted.
  • Other Markets: As you can tell by their reaction, there are not too many "safe-havens". As I understand it, there are two types of risk:
    • market risk--we just saw that--that risk is endemic to all markets
    • USD risk--it seems like there are other ways to hedge that bet rather than being in foreign stock ETF's. I don't pretend to know, but I think that there has been a bit of "safe-haven" pedaling regarding foreign markets.
  • Commodities: These have been volatile. I think that the markets have spoken, and they are saying that THEY depend on the US consumer (such a burden the consumer bears!) to stay healthy and grow. Expect commodities to downturn if the consumer buckles. Many of the emerging markets are commodity centric. Yeah, yeah, I've heard the global infrastructure story, but the global markets are telling us something different for now. At least that is how I understand it.
None of this is new thinking and it can readily be criticized as being self evident. Well, sub-prime was self evident months ago. Just keep these things on your radar screen as you navigate your way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the selective purchase of certain non-emerging market stocks may offer USD risk protection.

Even in this plunge, companies such as Sygenta (SYT), BASF (BF), and Royal Bank of Canada (RY) have held up reasonably well in my portfolio.

One Canadian company that I rather wish I had sold but didn't (I have large gains taxable gains in it) is Telus (TU).

While I like holding companies that are not correlated to the U.S. market, in reality, many of U.S.-based multinationals have plenty of non-USD foreign components.

Put it this way: there may not be many places to hide.

Just my two cents.

Larry said...

1. "Expect commodities to downturn if the consumer buckles." - After about 2010 is my guess.
2. But, even if earlier, I expect gold/silver to move much higher.
3. Just curious - why do people torture themselves in the stock market?
4. I expect a big business to spring up from the sub-prime fallout: a cottage industry of lawyers suing lenders on behalf of clients who "didn't know what they were signing, and lost their house."......

russell1200 said...

With too much liquidity in the system the yield on all investment vehicles are simultaneously pushed down. There are not any particularly good counter-cyclical investments that I am aware of. Of course speculating on a return of volatility or a yield reduction may be worthwhile, but even a lot of those avenues are heavily priced. It's not like puts on NFI were exactly cheap this last year.

Leisa♠ said...

GS--if there is one thing that I'm glad to come to understand is the currency issues. Terrific points.

LN: You hit a nerve and spawned a post. Regarding the big business...I agree. Some of these loans (like receivables) will be sold to. . . I shudder to think.

R: Yields are low which is why there seems to be the relentless search for yield...like rats sniffing for cheese.