Monday, March 31, 2008

Cast Off; Cast Away; Liberation and Viva le Pied

My Doctor's appointment was at 1:20. You can tell by the title the news. Last night as I was reviewing my schedule, and thought that I could meet my girlfriend for lunch. Both she and the lunch place were close to my doc's office. So I had a loverly lunch at The Peking prior to getting this wonderful news. It's been a good day!!!

At the doc office, he examined my foot. It still looks horrible. Swollen--I've a cankle--a calf and ankle that blend together. It would probably look less worse if my poor calf were not shriveled. I now know why the skin of the elderly becomes so flaccid--it's not the skin, but the atrophy of their muscles. I know that I'll still have flaccid skin, but I have a wake up call for taking better care of my musculature. A glimpse of things to come no doubt.

I asked the doc if the swelling was normal for six weeks past the injury. He said yes, and it was hard to tell when it would go away. Great. He did xray it, and he told me that the cuboid tends to be a rather painful break (ligament separated and pulled the bone asunder). Indeed. Roger that.

But, I'm off with my boot. He was going to recommend physical therapy. I mentioned that I have to co-pay and that I would only go to one or two and then do the exercises at home. He said that all he really wanted me to do was bear full weight and get the foot moving. I felt that I could do that.

I stuffed my foot in a shoe. It's not closed. It has many pressure points, but it is in there like a great sausage. Though, I should note that I can walk on my foot (with some crutch support) without the pain I had in the boot. I suppose the support helps. Now, to be sure I have great stiffness, and I've great numbness in my foot (the tingling is very burning), but I'm moving, baby, and boy does that feel good. My greatest fear is having my weak ankle roll again and re-injure the spot. Having this fear probably makes this a more likely event. I'm going to be careful--but I know that I've much further to go before normalcy sets in.

Thank you for following along with me on my injury and your good wishes throughout.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More like wincing along with you- glad to hear the cast is off (gone!) and you're able to fit the foot inside an open shoe...here's to seeing angles in your 'cankle' soon...;)

2nd_ave

Gemma Star said...

Brava!

One step forward (as they say....)

~ GemmaStar

Leisa♠ said...

Thanks guys. I'm trying to be careful and not overdo it!