Sunday, March 30, 2008

Quarter Review on Resolutions

In two days, one quarter of this year will have passed. I'm looking at
my resolutions, which I keep by my desk. It's on a bulletin board by
my desk; otherwise, a horizontal position will relegate it to a pile.
Here's a bit of a "confessional" on my resolutions. I posted my mind
map on my resolutions HERE. My injury has derailed me a bit on some of these, nevertheless....



Time Management: B. I've been using FreeMind(1) as my 'to do' list, and it has worked very well. Plus, because I like
looking at it, I find the list to be more inviting than something I dread reviewing.. I've organized my time and my tasks. To get an A, I will need to
reduce my computer time (computer time is too much of my time largely
due to my lack of mobility. Still, I need to be fair, I could easily
be reading a book). I'll confess, though, that time management has been
a lifelong struggle for me. When you are a conceptual rather than a
concrete person, this difficulty is a common one.



Service: A. My blog and my dog transport were my two areas. I've
re-vamped my blog, have included some useful information for readers to
easily access and I'm exploring a service opportunity (board member)
with an organization dedicated to helping people.



Space: B. My home projects are literally gathering dust due to my
injury. I've at least committed them to paper (on the To Do List).
I've been cleaning my desk off weekly and that includes processing the
20lbs of mail I get every week. I'll never be a daily desk cleaner.
One has to be reasonable about his/her aspirations! Autos are fine.
Garden is fine (I even ordered my garden seeds and a newspaper pot
maker). I do need to add something about getting rid of clothes that we do not wear. Somehow I have clothes that are as old as teenagers.



Fun: B. Injury has dampened that a bit--though I could have
compensated. I've at least planned a dinner party which I told you
about. I've not been to any musical concerts or festivals for obvious
reasons. I could have listened to some music that I've not heard
before. In fact, my husband has some CD's that a friend made for him.
I'll listen to those and upgrade that item. Like time management, fun
is not something that I do instinctively. Now don't get the wrong
idea. If we were at a party you wouldn't meet me and say "Oh, what a
stick in the mud." We'd have lots of fun talking. My goal would be to
talk less and let you talk more. One of my struggles. Art--I've
included some art on my blog, so I feel like I've done some outreach
there that I would otherwise not have found had I not put this on a to
do list.



Mind: B. Oh, I' got an A on the develop end of it having tackled CSS
and Photoshop BUT, I have a D on the Settle piece of it. No rest,
meditation or reflection. I suppose I could cheat and say that my
vicodin pain pills helped with that for a few weeks from my pain
management from my injury. That would be cheating. Had I had some
great epiphany, then I would claim it, but alas I did not. I did at least read two book club books fully. I'm going to tackle Taleb's Black Swan book. I still have to organize my books. I've also have Mauboussin's books, More than You Know, languishing in some forgotten spot.


Body: B. I started to put down a D, but as I wrote, I realized that I performed a little better. First, I have not killed
myself on the g-d crutches. That's worth a few gold stars! Second, I have great strength in all parts
of my body that do not involve my poor little atrophied left leg. No cardio--but rather I've huffed an puffed a bit on the steps and hoofing it on crutches outside. Flexibility--well, yes, my injury
has caused quite a bit of flexibility. Nutrition has been pretty good,
but not at the level I had planned. Once I can shop more frequently
that will improve. We eat healthy entrees--because I cook, but not
enough fruits and green vegetables. Nurture--I have been really honoring my body--most particularly my foot. I just upgraded my C to a B.

Relationships: A. Very good work here. I've been doing outreach for those with whom I've been out of touch, and I've been improving my "in-touch" relationships.

Finances: B--We are modest people. My 'trading' has been dormant during this period of uncertainty, so no augmentation there. At least my retirement balances and my spec account is at or near its highs.

Parking lot: Empty as it should be--the above is enough to think about.

Tomorrow I go to the doc. It's been six weeks. Wiggling my toes is met with sharp pains around the break. I don't know if this is normal or not. During the last week I can keep my foot down for longer periods of time without the water balloon feeling. I do plan on following the doctor's orders for rehabilitation. I will add that to my resolutions.

While I've not A's on all of these, I'm still happy with the results. I wanted to treat my resolutions as a balanced scorecard--and I feel that I've achieved that. Plus doing this cursory 1/4 year review has been helpful in renewing some energy toward goals that have been shoved a little to the side.

I also have a confession. I watched Blades of Glory with Will Ferrell and Jon Heder and laughed with great energy--several times. One of those unbelievably stupid films that are hilarious to watch. Having a 17 year old son gives me license to do that! (Actually, he is 16 but turns 17 on Tuesday-an April fool's birthday!).

Yesterday I did a little work on index returns off of Russell indices. Very interesting--I'll share later.



(1) FreeMind is the free mind mapping software that I used to do my Resolutions. I also used it to outline the book.

1 comment:

Gemma Star said...

Reporting on your resolutions is such an inspiration.

I'm sorta resolving to get my resolutions in order for the remaining 3/4 of the year, thanks to your resolutions work....

G/S