Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gimping along at BJ's and Memory of My Broken Arm

Last night I made it out to book club. Crutches on salt-treated steps in the rain is pretty scary. My left crutch skidded all the way out, but I was ready for it. I've been quite good at recognizing potential hazards. No harm; no foul.

I've mentioned that I've had a hard time with steps. Mark, a crutch-walking expert, determined that my crutches were too low. Next, he taught me how to go up/down the steps--you first, then the crutches: "Otherwise, you are just pole-vaulting." I have to say that going up the stairs on crutches is quite a bit easier than skooching up on one's bottom. It takes a lot less effort. To be sure, though, I've more arm strength now. Previously, I do not think that it would have been possible, and poor results (my falling) would have been seen.

My daughter last went to the store three weeks ago. We'd eaten about everything in the house, to include pantry and freezer items. It was time to go, so Mark and I trekked out to BJ's. I was able to snag one of the portable carts. What a godsend. We managed to get everything that we needed without resorting to fisticuffs.

My foot has literally turned the corner. The last four nights have been comfortable--a far cry from those fitfull nights of rather dreadful discomfort. I took a bath yesterday in our bathroom. It doesn't have a hand held shower. I made out fine. I even cleaned the shower. My husband has not once cleaned that shower in the 23 years we've been in this house. Not even when I was pregnant and about to pop. Oh well. He did save me from cracking my head on the brick steps during my crutch pole vautling, so all must be forgiven.

I couldn't help but look at my left leg with some pity. My thigh and my calf have withered at least by a third. How quickly our muscles atrophy from non use. I still remember when I was 8 soon to turn 9 and broke my arm. When they took my cast off, my arm was skinny and very dark brown. Ugh.

That day in early July is still very clear to me. I found the first ripe wild blackberries that grew on giant canes in an overgrown area between the farm across the street and the road. I held these jewels delicately in my right arm, while I pedaled excitedly home to show my Mom. See, blackberries meant cobbler! Naturally I was bare foot! My right foot slipped off the pedal and hit the road painfully. I lost my balance, and my bike toppled to the right. I fell on my right arm on the road.

I got up. The blackberries were crushed in my hand and my elbow and forearm were all cockeyed and hurt like hell. I was only about 50 yards from home. When I show up the door (I don't think that I was crying), all my mother could see was my blackberry-stained hand and my crooked arm. It was horrific looking, to be sure!

She loads me in the car and we start to the hospital. This is about 10 a.m. in the morning. We have to turn around because she cannot remember if she turned the iron off or not. We go to the hospital where again my purple/black stained hand causes surprised looks. I remember being in the hospital for a long time--many hours. They wouldn't give me anything to drink in case I needed surgery. I remember one woman coming over and stroking my hair while my mother was trying to hunt down someone to care for me. I was probably whimpering at that time.

Finally they send me to an orthopedic to have my arm set. I arrived at the Dr's office about 5:30 p.m. The room is crowded. The next name that they call is not mine. It is a man who has a cast on his leg. I still remember his great kindness, insisting that they take me first.

I still remember their setting the bone. The nurse was pulling my arm and the doctor had my arm in both of his hands. I started screaming I was in so much pain plus I could here the bones crunching together. He put my arm down and told be that he wasn't going to set my arm if I were screaming. I'm sure that I whimpered through the balance of it. I was in pretty desperate shape by then. Since my break that morning I had had no food, nor water, nor pain medication. I think that was a lot to ask of a young girl.

I did emerge with a white cast and purple hand, which would stay that way for about a week!

No comments: