Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Little Book That Builds Wealth

Wiley has a series of books in in their...."Little Book Big Profits"
  • The Little Book that Beats the Market/Joel Greenblatt
  • The Little Book of Value Investing/Christopher Browne
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing/John Bogle
  • The Little Book that Makes you Rich/Louis Navellier
  • The Little Book that Builds Wealth/Pat Dorsey
There is one thing that I've come to learn is that these books are definitely folks "talking their book". I don't say that in a derisive way at all. There are many types of successful investing, and understanding the various cornerstones of different modalities is useful in helping one find his/her own style.

I wanted to share with you some comments on the most recent book in the series, The Little Book that Builds Wealth, by Pat Dorsey of Morningstar.

The hook for the book is the importance of looking for economic moats of companies. He chooses the categories of intangible assets, customer switching costs, the network effect and cost advantages. Even more telling was his describing what IS NOT an economic moat--things like great products, size, management and execution. There are some very cogent gems in this book. For example: " A company's value is equal to all the cash it will generate in the future. That's it." Sure, I knew, that but seeing it written so starkly was refreshing AND a good reminder.

The book is very accessible. It is well organized, clearly written, chapter "bottom-lines" with plenty of tangible examples. I was glad to see that there were chapters on right buying and right selling. Too often the entry and exit guidelines are glossed over at the expense of investor returns. Nevertheless, Dorsey is an advocate of long term holding--years, not months.

What am I going to do differently in my own investing approach having read this book? I'm going to make a concerted effort to identify moats AND appreciate their contribution to a company's valuation. In fact, in looking at a few of the examples, I was struck that MY FAILURE to recognize economic moats resulted in my thinking a stock was too richly valued, when in fact the economic moat was being appropriately valued more richly than counterparts. Accordingly, (and I recognized some of these companies about which I thought this) this recognition of economic moats (that goes beyond what we generally think as the thing that generates the premium--great products etc.) allowed me to resolve that perplexion.

I created a Mind Map of the book which you can find here. Would I recommend the book. Yes, I would for investors not traders.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes

I get it

Does anyone else?


Many try…


A Freedom is sought

One that’s absolute


But in the end

Why must we always ‘Identify’


So suffer we must

Everything is so personal

Must defend this ‘I’


When in the end

All you really want

Is for the “self” to die


Then living really begins!




Shall… I move on

Think I will… seems right…

Maybe we’ll meet again…

That’d be ‘nice’

Leisa♠ said...

These concepts of are not new shiny diamonds but rather old friends to me. I understand them well enough to know that your own presumptions that you stated about the inability/difficulty of others to "get it" means that you've not mastered these concepts for yourself.

A true master of these concepts would not comport his/herself in such a way. Your posts here suggest to me that you hold yourself out as being on a path to guide others when in fact your posts here betray that you are merely wrestling about in the weeds with your ego--and ego seduced by the notion that it possesses some perfect understanding that is out of the grasp of others.

If this rather simple and transparent paradox escapes your perception, that you might view that as a clarion call for deeper understanding and greater practice of that which you purport to teach. To be clear, it is off-putting to be in conversation with one who comes out of the gate with patronizing comments or judgments of the abilities of others to "get it." And I'll willingly admit that maybe that is my bias--but though I've expunged a few, I tenaciously hold onto to this one.

My hope is that you will find a way to bridge the chasm between your enthusiasm for sharing these ideas and the lack of understanding in how to engage others in conversation rather than impugning their intelligence.

Do not think for a minute that I consider there to be any ignominy with tussling about with one's foibles in the weeds. It's both healthy and cathartic. Some of us have to spend more time there than others. For myself, I've all sorts of burrs, scratches, leaves in my hair and a tick or two from tussling about in the rough terrain of my shortcomings. The trick is to spend more time one the path and less in the weeds, but you can't get to place without being in the other.

Anonymous said...

I have two of the little books. Thanks for listing the rest. I see that you are a Gary K fan as I am. Another you may be interested in is the dorsey wright podcasts http://www3.dorseywright.com/podcast.php
I also find some of the howestreet video's to be of {some} interest http://www.howestreet.com/audiovideo/
If you have other podcast/video's you listen to/watch I would be very interested in perusing them.
William B

Anonymous said...

You are very patient, L. Is the Woodshed still standing?

Cat

Anonymous said...

The Don Coxe calls were always required listening for me. His Basic Points was outstanding.

Cat

Leisa♠ said...

Willam B: Thanks for the links!

Cat: The woodshed is alive an well. Though it is relegated to smoking, drinkin and cussin at the old people of whom we are too swiftly becoming. No one has ever been taken behind the shed and dispatched to the netherworld.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. I had hoped so. Very useful at times. Allows one to ponder his indiscretions in a proper setting.

Railing at cars is my specialty. "Slow down!" he shouts, waving his cane or stick.

Cat

P.S. Very odd action today for the EOM window dressing don't you think? Well, there's this afternoon and tomorrow to put lipstick on as well.