Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day


My husband heard someone remark (probably on "John Boy and Billy Big Show"--as show whose content for which I've not cultivated an appreciation) that on Mother's Day the restaurants are full, and on Father's Day the restaurants are empty.a

On Friday, at the last minute, I concluded that I should have a gathering at my home. Both my and my husband's father are still alive. But they are getting older, and most recently, you will remember that my father was hospitalized. So taking some time to spend time with them is important.

Yesterday I had a long drive to pick up a special Llewellyn setter, Marnie. She was being transported from NC (a kill shelter where she was turned in after having been found as a stray) to a foster home in PA. Unfortunately, I did not allow enough time to get to South Hill from my house. Nevertheless, I arrived only 3 minutes after the person I was meeting arrived. So my poor planning (I had to go further west than I had allowed for) caused no harm, other than heart palpitations when I hit 85 south and saw that I had 58 miles to go to get to South Hill--and the clock said 8:50 (I needed to be there by 9:15). I arrived there at about 9:23.

The foster mom sent me a pic of Marnie. I meant to take my camera with me. She road shotgun, and spent most of her ride with 1/2 her body on the console so she could rest her head on my arm. It makes for a relaxing ride to have silken ear to stroke while driving. I was in my husband's truck. My Aurora's rear view mirror detached. I don't drive without a rear view mirror. My son drives this car now; he doesn't mind it's missing. (We need to get it fixed). My son is hot on the trail of a Subaru WRX. I think that he and Mark are going to drive to Baltimore to look at one on Monday.

I've a modest meal planned for this evening. I purchased a whole beef tenderloin. At this hour, I'm still unsure as to whether I'm going to roast it whole or cut it into steaks and grill them. Accompaniment will be baked potatoes and a tossed salad. For dessert, I'm going to make a lemon syrup cake (it's a dense lemony shortcake infused with lemon syrup) and serve it with fresh berries and whipped cream with some homebade lemon curd. It will be a light dessert after a somewhat heavy meal.

Fathers--enjoy your special day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tu blog es el crappo

Anonymous said...

poo sus ideas son tan profundas como su moniker

tratar las hojas de cálculo y, a veces en otros carillón con 'nice' ideas ...

Más bancario fusiones y adquisiciones en el camino debe ser de mercado positivo ...

More banking M&A on the way - could be market positive...

nice

Leisa♠ said...

Dearest Poo--then shoo--for I don't write for you.