Monday, June 09, 2008

Permission to Ramble

I hope that you've visited Marty Chenard's Stock Timing website. Check the tabs above if you are scratching your head. I'm sort of standing aside on this market.

I have a 23 year old child that I've not told you about--my HVAC unit. It's a Lennox, and it powers the upstairs heating cooling in our main house. (We have a main house and an addition--the addition is bigger than our main house because we have a monstrously large garage). I'll post a pic sometime.

There is some indeterminate leak in the system which requires a heroine-like shot once a year. Naturally, I don't REMEMBER to indulge this vice until we have unbearable weather. I'm a big believer in one not sweating in either his/her home or car. Sweating outdoors is perfectly fine. If you don't sweat a couple of times of week--even in the winter--you're not active enough. ( I say this with the sting of shame on my cheeks.)

I called the service folks. I was prepared for a horrible wait. They came within 30 minutes--though the original conversation was that they would arrive at the end of the day (news which thrilled me). The unit was bone dry of freon--they also checked the other two units (I've a city of HVAC units, it seems!).

I live in the woods. Nevertheless, the sun shown brightly on these gents as they ministered to my units. Sweat beaded, then dripped down their faces. The original owner of this business died about 3 years ago. It was bought by Michael. He has one of the original owner's sons working for him now. I went in to get my checkbook. I also grabbed two $20's. I also instructed my son to put 2 cold ginger ale's in the truck. It was pushing 100 today--and that doesn't even include our heat index. I live in a very humid area, so the heat index adds about 10 more degrees. Air conditioning, particularly second story, bedroom air conditioning is vital. (Though I say this knowing that it is a luxury).

I paid my bill. I gave the each a $20 (one was the owner)--they protested. I asked them not to embarrass me. I appreciated their good service; and it wasn't much--something that I gladly gave for excellent, prompt service. A small thing really when the alternative was sticking to one's sheets.

I have a 2001 T'bird. One of the fellows was admiring it. I jokingly told him it was my boob job and my facelift! They laughed. (Hopefully they were not thinking that I should have redirected the money!). The owner said that someone (might have been his SIL) bought a 150K boat (a Baja) AND with that boat, decided she needed a boob job. Personally, I don't believe that we should have surgical enhancements to serve as accoutrements to things that we buy.

I'll be 48 on my birthday in August. Each day I look in the mirror, I see more of my mother. I made the election (not lightly) recently to discontinue coloring my hair. I remarked to my husband (not that he would even register an opinion on the matter) that coloring grey when one had dark brown hair is akin to coloring dark brown hair blonde--and I NEVER would have dyed my dark tresses blond. I surely do not know if blonds have more fun, but being a brunette never was an impediment for me. Now I'm a fading brunette in a tussle with gravity.

I must also admit, though, that I harbor this really odd bias when I see men who color their hair. To my eye, such men might as well be wearing an ill-fitting toupee! It looks ridiculous. I know that my judgment is both harsh and, worse, a double standard. For the record, I think that men age more gracefully than women. But SOCIETY agrees with me.

I have many books. In America by Susan Sontag is one that has been started, but remains unfinished. BUT...here is a picture of her from the book. For whatever reason, I find this picture striking. I find in this picture that her tresses, naturally gray, frame a handsome, sensual face. It looks natural; it is compelling. Hey, you guys thinking otherwise sign off now to the booty channel! (g).



I then came across another picture (much later) of her where she has colored her hair--I'm going to opt for the natural, compelling sensual look!








Who knows--I may be blond by the end of the year with a boob job! (I won't be).

I'm not much of a designer. I just don't concern myself with such things. The artwork in my home? Precious little. I've so many windows, wall space is not something I've had to fill...but I ran across some beverage posters--Legrand (the very first pic) being one of them (and it matches perfectly my newly upholstered, old as the hills furniture). I also have the following:




You may find them gauche. I accept your judgment. It cost me what I considered an obscene amount of money to have these posters matted and framed (at Ben Franklin no less). And I spent a good bit of time selecting 2 pairs of matting. (You'll remember my anal-ality about my blog colors). But guests love these big, bold colored prints.

So while my visage may fade, and gravity prevail, I hope that my intellect, such as it is, prevails and that the colors of my drink posters will remain vibrant!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marty Chenard may be right about more writeoffs - in fact Europe has written off far more than the US.

US has only written off about $190billion I believe - the BKX is expecting the worst anyways...


Just to follow up from earlier today:

IMO, the fact that Paulson today went so far as to use the word 'intervention' for the USD - means we must be getting close to the 'tipping' point.

-- That point where high commodity prices (especially oil), combined with a distressed banking system -- are beginning to threaten the global economy.

The usual pattern for years ending in '8' is choppy upward trading during the summer - followed by a Crash in the Fall.

It is possible that if they can get their act together now (ie: banks come clean and oil under control now) they may be able to mediate any large scale equity market decline in the Fall ahead of the election.

Problem is the usual Seasonality for the US dollar Index (if I recall) - has the USDX very weak in AUG SEP.

They are going to have to address this weak USD now IMHO and smooth out these currency issues through coordination - if not the market will crash on schedule - and probably a 'dollar crisis' will be the reason.

And traders still seem eager to bet on such a crisis.

So if the market 'floats' all summer, oil keeps going up, and gold keeps getting taken down - then unfortunately I will be siding with these traders.

Preferably, I think we should take our 'medicine' now.

Watching the Brazil & Canada indices (plus the commodity futures curves) to see how they react to all this Central Bank speak.

Last week traders faded the Strong Dollar talk - if they try again but fail - we could see some interesting movements...

... btw some of those beverage prints don't look bad - would look kinda 'nice' in my newly finished basement

nice...

Leisa♠ said...

NG: My most recent images have come from allposters.com. You might want to take a look.