Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Posters, Grilling and Bill Gross--A Melange

I don't have this print, but I love these vintage drink prints. Allposters.com has every poster you could possibly want. The also have pre-framed posters at reasonable prices. I've never bought from them, but their selection is certainly monstrously large!

I've had my 4th meal cooked on my Solaire grill. I promised an update (If you decide to skip all this cooking talk, scroll down for Bill Gross' quote which is important.)

My goal in getting an infrared grill was to be able to enjoy flare-up controlled gas grilling. I choose gas grilling because I do not like charcoal grilled stuff. Never have--my stomach finds it disagreeable. My Phoenix grill (like the Holland grills) had a stainless steel barrier between the flame and the grill. IN this barrier you could put water (there was a faucet attached underneath the pan to evacuate the contents be it grease or water/marinade), or smoke chips etc. Very nice design. Phoenix grills are no longer available and the Holland grills which have this design are underpowered in the BTU department.

Infrared, the newest grill technology, through its super hot element promised to minimize flareup by incinerating all flare causing elements. I'm here to report that I've had some spectacular flareups BUT they were very short lived. I've cooked the following 4 meals on this grill:

  • Chicken thighs: As you know they are naturally fatty (skin on). Grill flared, but not horribly so. You do not wish to be leaning over this grill or working with too short a grill appliance for ministering to your meal. Outcome: seared outside; succulent inside.
  • NY Strip Steak: No flare up (not a fatty cut of meat.) Perfectly cooked, medium rare in about 2 minutes per side. Beautiful outside sear marks; juicy tender meat on the inside. Perfect. My husband declared it the best steak he has ever had.
  • Grilled onions/peppers: IN a grill basket. Onions were beautifully carmelized. Peppers were tender. Constant ministrations were needed.
  • Roasted red potatoes: roasted crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. I should have cooked these a tad bit more--cook's fault. But they were wonderful.
  • Hamburgers: I used the 85% lean which is a fatty burger. I chose this mix on purpose, as it does make a very juicy tasty burger. Flare ups were pyrotechnic! My husband declared it the best hamburger he has ever had.
  • Marinated roasting hen (back bone cut out and flattened). I used Yoshida's Gourmet sauce with pineapple/orange juice concentrate + water in addition to lots of garlic. If you are not familiar with Yoshida's gourmet sauce and you like to grill, may I suggest that you try some. It is wonderful on pork, chicken and tuna. You can add equal amounts of citrus juices to create wonderful marinades. This chicken was again perfectly done. The skin was a bit blackened due to my taking a phone call (you really cannot do this when using an infrared during the first few minutes where heat is at its highest). But the marinade also has a high sugar content--so that promotes (good or bad) some charring. Both the white and dark meat were succulent.
My verdict is that while the grill still flares up, it is manageable and burns off quickly enough that the grilled item is not adversely affected. The heat allows the grilled item to sear quickly, thus containing internal juices. Grilling on this appliance is quite a sensual experience--some pyrotechnics from a flare up, the intense sizzling sound, the wonderful aromatherapy grill-smoke saturated with the smell of your grilled food and the heat make for a multi-sense experience. And the taste is really incomparable to anything that I've had before, and that is always the final and most important test.



Now back to our regularly scheduled program.....

John Maulden's Outside the Box has Bill Gross (of PIMCO) writing. I think that BG is both a keen observer and a lucid writer. Be sure to catch his entire commentary in the newsletter. I wanted to highlight this for you--


Investment success depends on an ability to anticipate the herd, ride with it for a substantial period of time, and then begin to reorient portfolios for a changing world.

While an elegant and pithy statement, it is by no means easy to do.























John Maldin's "Outside the Box" has commentary by Bill Gross of Pimco. I think that Bill is both a keen observer and lucid writer. I particularly liked

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 Cheers for the USD..

Traders tried to fade the Strong Dollar Speak from the Fed and Treasury - they were playing with fire - but got burnt...

Seeing them try this yesterday, and seeing Oil retesting it's high - with all the other commodities down and the USD screaming higher - I doubled the short Oil position at near $138...

Locked in a fair bit of the gains with a hedge ahead of tomorrows Oil Report....

Was all this simply a 2-day intervention - or part of something larger?

Seeing strength in SMN the last while.

While it may be counterintuitive I guess mines could benefit by falling energy - even with the USD up. They have been complaining about rising costs.

Don Coxe mentioned this as a possibility - he is bearish on mines - but said he may change his mind if oil goes down.

Was last nights sharp drop in Shanghai a final shakeout ahead of the Olympics - or is the downtrend still in tact?

--

Gartman becoming another Cramer?

Short term whatever he says does the opposite...

Go long Gold at $910 - went down
Go short Gold at $875 - went up (though back down now)

Today when interviewed was reluctant to short oil.

nice

Anonymous said...

Sorry meant FCX and mines showing strength against the other falling USD hedges (that is SMN has been slow to respond against a rising USD...)

blogging while trading... guilty as charged again...

Though FCX was pumped up as a Takever target today....