Saturday, June 28, 2008

Today's Transport


Today was not an enjoyable, stress free day. Today was a hot, miserable day for both volunteers and dogs. Plus we had some challenges.

This is Mia (shelter's pic on left). She was my shotgun passenger today. I did a long run--from my home to Emporia (1.25 hours) then from Emporia to Fredericksburg (2.25 hours) and then from Fredericksburg to my home (1 hour). I also had a pregnant female, Twila (shelter's pic on right.) I had a number of other pup passengers to include this darling little bugger--part Border Collie.


Mia is dog-on-dog aggressive though she could easily be handled by humans. Because we had some logistical issues (two vehicles from the outset--all the dogs arrive in a van in crates). Mia had to ride with another tethered dog. All pups and small dogs are in crates.

We figured that Twilla could ride in the backseat along with the small cages for the pup, and Mia could ride up front with me. There was a 20 minute stretch where I wondered if this was a good idea. One of the rat terriers began to bark. Mia did not like this and leaned and looked toward the back. She was also eying Twila, who was turning about to face the barking dog's cage--almost as if she wanted to offer comfort. I started singing which is a horrid sound that typically comforts distressed pups. Today was no different.

Mia locked her gaze on Twila. No growls, but very locked on attention and tensing of muscles. I did not like it a bit. I put my hand firmly on her collar and pushed her forward. I also patted her head, covering her eyes with my hand. Lock on gazes are not good--and I wanted to divert that. Though she was tied off to the suicide handles, I did not want 60 lbs of bone, sinew and muscle (and teeth) hurling her boldness into the back seat. You would have been reading about me on the evening news and this space likely would be silent.

Oftentimes dogs in the back will want to poke their heads forward for comfort. Twila did not, though she wanted to. So we made the balance of the trip quietly, except for my horrid singing. I put my fingers back for the rat terrier, and it licked them and pawed them--a nice comfort for a distressed dog.

Mia finally settled down. As I rubbed her ears, I could feel scars on her ears. I could see scars on her muzzle, and her feet. On her lower middle back she had a scar that was perfectly round as if someone had put a cigar hour on her. I don't know much about fighting dogs, but I'd be surprised if someone told me this dog had never been fought.

I cannot over emphasize her gentleness and willingness to be handled by me. I also cannot overemphasize her alertness toward other dogs. We handled her carefully ensuring adequate space. It was a stressful day. That stressed was mitigated by my Very-Berry-Shake from Arby's and my early bailout off of 95 due to traffic backups--It took me by Secreteriat's birthplace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures of those darling dogs.

I normally don't drive at all (I live in New York City) but last week I was in California and did hours and hours of driving. I tip my hat off to you for doing all the driving -- and paying for the gas to do it.

Those are very lucky animals....

~ GemmaStar

Anonymous said...

Leisa, this is amazing what you do. I'm at a loss for words... Lucky animals indeed. I hope Mia doesn't have to be destroyed... but thankfully she'll never have to fight again. I love your sense of humor too! The singing and the Arby's Very Berry put a smile on my face. I don't know how you do it Leisa but I'm really glad that you do!
~ Mary (ml153)
I can't sign on, incorrect password...sigh.