Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Did you know. . . .?

6. Apsara
Cambodia, Angkor Wat Style
12th c.
bronze
------------------------

Mark and I rarely watch TV in the Spring/Summer. But in the months of darkness circa 5-6, we do. Lately we've been watching TV Land and enjoying the classics that we grew up with: The Andy Griffith Show, Sanford and Son, M*A*S*H (I should mention that I used to have a huge crush on Alan Alda--don't ask me why!), and most recently, the Beverly Hillbillies.

I felt compelled to look up Donna Douglas (the beautiful Ellie Mae) and Max Baer (Jethro). First, Donna Douglas was precisely my mother's age. She was born in 1933.

My "did you know?" lead in, though, is for Max Baer, Jr. He is the son of Max Baer--the boxer about whom Cinderella Man (the movie) is about. Max Baer killed a man in the ring. MB, Jr. criticized the movie stating that it glamorized the event, when in fact is father was deep affected by what happened. NPR did a Sunday show segment. I don't recall the program, but it was very moving how they described the event and it's aftermath.

This message is part of my public service to you should you be conscripted to participate in a game show.

Vishnu upon Garuda
Kymer
12th c.
bronze



No comments: