Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Duck, Duck, GOOSE

I said that I'd report back on the recipe. The recipe is no doubt for goose breasts covered with skin and fat. For skinless goose breasts, it is too much cooking. I overcooked them. But everyone got seconds. I can honestly say--and you guys know I'm an intrepid cook--NOTHING has smelled better in my kitchen than those goose breasts roasting. My neighbor smelled it as soon as he walked in to our garage and winnowed his way into my kitchen to find the source. It was almost a savory, buttery smell. I can't quite describe it, but it was very, very pleasing to the the olfactories!

I'd modify the recipe that I posted here

I'd pan fry the breasts in a little bit of oil--4-5 minutes each side to brown. I'd then put them in the oven on the recommended temperature for perhaps 1/2 the time--I'd look for about 135 on a meat thermometer. I also added some thyme--the recipe practically cried out for it.

No comments: