Thursday, January 03, 2008

Testing 1....2....3....

Here are Oil & Gas Pipelines. This product is part of my ubernerd project to create thumbnails of all of the stocks by sector.


I finally figured out how to capture a scroll on Hypersnap--the software that I use to take pictures to post screen shots.

So this post is a test of the upload. I find it easier to look at these thumbnails to "see" stuff. It is very quick.

As I write, the Nikkei is tumbling. Down more than 600 points. Perhaps it will right itself, but it is only open for the morning session.

I imagine that the Fed will make an announcement for an emergency rate cut. Personally, I do not see that it will help much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why in the world would the Fed cut rates because the Nikkei is tumbling?

If they cut rates at the next meeting, of course its going to help. The ten year is below the policy rate in a flattening GDP situation.

Leisa♠ said...

I didn't mean to suggest (but I see that conclusion) that they would cut because of Nikkei falling, but rather because of the increasing evidence of a recession (which is why Japan in falling)...and more confirmation this morning.

I still don't see that cutting rates is going to help much. Why? First, I think that it will help bank income statements a bit. Second, I feel that there is more risk from residential and commercial loans that needs to be conflated into reasonable underwriting standards prior to NEW loans being made.

russell1200 said...

Do the pipelines book their earnings in advance? I saw Kinder in there and recalled that that is what ENRON did. Of course financial institutions have been (less plausibly) doing it as well. But anytime someone books their earnings in advance, you have to question what assumptions went into the model, and how future conditions may impact.