Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Mind Mapping Stocks

I'm doing an uber-nerd sort of thing. I'm creating a stock universe in my mind map mode. Why? A few reasons:
  1. I'm a big believer in sectors.
  2. I need a larger model to help me better organize my thinking.
  3. I like to understand the lay of the land and do my own research.
  4. I need to keep my better ideas in front of me.

With this model I can blow out subsectors, and even more importantly find interesting stocks in a subsector (part of my independent research bit). These sector/subsectors happen to be from MetaStock. It's really the best tool that I have (MS) for showing all of the stocks in a sector. I've wanted a better job of organizing the information--particularly as I do chart reviews/etc.

Because I'm a global learner, it is important for me to keep the big picture in front of me. I want to be able to submerge into detail when I want to get it, but I want to emerge from that detail to ensure that I get grounded again. It's too easy to find me to find myself in a labyrinth. So this model gives me that detail and gives me that summary. The real nitty gritty is inputting the stock symbols for each of the subsectors. I'd show you that for Utilities, but I cannot quite capture in on a screen shot. Here's a try. You'll need to CTML.

We did not have a fortuitous start to the New Year. I suppose the fact that we really may be slowing down is sinking in. I know that all of the oil shamans are banging their gourds. I just feel like all of the money has been piling into these commodity stocks as a last resort--an inflating balloon amid many deflating balloons.

I'm frequently wrong, but that is my perplexion for the moment as to why oil is so strong. Yeah, I know the "argument" about supply being limited. I'm certainly in no position to argue that point, but it seems like there are lots of folks piling into some pretty narrow trades.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Selloff seems overdone according to the internals Friday and Tuesday, Leisa. If no headlines, look for a move up hereabouts.

Cat

russell1200 said...

Oil is up because of Nigeria. Nigeria has been a slow motion train wreck. There is worrisome guerrilla activity on going in addition to current political violence:

The 11th and final country to join the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in 1971, Nigeria's 25 billion barrels of proven oil reserves place it among the world's top oil-producing nations [12th]. The country plans to boost its oil reserves to at least 40 billion barrels by 2010 after recently discovering large oil deposits in deeper offshore waters, according to OPEC and the Nigerian Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

russell1200 said...

In addition:

TA Kitty is very sensitive to commodities that share her color (black). TA Kitty keeps getting herself shut up in the coat closet. When she gets let out of the closet, she immediately runs upstairs to her litter box. Up goes Kitty, up goes oil.